Proper nutrition is just as important to your pet’s overall veterinary health as are vaccinations, dental cleanings, and wellness exams. There are many factors that go into selecting the correct dietary formula that will meet your pet’s nutritional needs, including age, weight, breed, activity level, and any health concerns.
Making note of your pet’s eating habits, including any changes in their appetite, weight, or outward appearance is important. This information can assist your veterinarian in detecting medical conditions early as well as making any necessary changes to your pet’s diet, before they lead to something more serious.
All of our veterinarians are trained in the area of nutrition and are happy to assist you in finding the formula that will best meet your pet’s nutritional needs. In addition we can assist in specific issues regarding nutrition, including:
- Diets for specific veterinary issues — If you pet suffers from disease or illness, such as allergies, dental disease, gastrointestinal disease, joint disease, liver disease, urinary tract disease, or has a sensitive stomach, our veterinary staff will assist you in locating a formula that can help manage his or her condition.
- General nutritional counseling — Your veterinarian will discuss your pet’s current diet, letting you know how a balanced diet can help ensure overall health while possibly preventing diseases later on.
- Life stage dietary needs — Just like a new baby has different dietary needs than an adult, puppies or kittens require different types and levels of nutritional supplements than adult animals. As your pet enters his or her senior years, a softer form of food may be required. During your annual wellness exams, our veterinarians will help you determine when your pet is ready for the next phase of food.
- Weight management — As with humans, maintaining a healthy weight is important for your pet. Daily exercise and proper nutrition can help keep your pet from becoming obese and increase the quality of his or her life.
We carry a large selection of prescription and non-prescription foods in-house, including:
- Royal Canin
- Purina Veterinary Diet
- Eukanuba/Iams Veterinary Formula
If your pet needs a specific food we do not have in stock, please let us know and we can order it.